39 C
Monday, May 27, 2024

10 things you should know if you are going to work in the United States

Must read

Are you going to work in the United States?
Don’t miss our tips. Assistance we reinvent services.

Getting used to living in a different country is always a challenge, and working in the land of opportunities is something that everyone considers at some point in their life. Among all the countries that exist to work, one of the most attractive is usually the United States.

However, if you are going to get into this wonderful country, there are some things you should know:


Without a passport you cannot travel to the United States, that’s the first thing you should know. If you do not have it, do not forget to do it and very important if you have it, check that it is not expired. Passports must be valid for at least 90 days from the date of entry into the country.

Air ticket:

When buying your ticket you have to take into account the visa time that you are going to have and get a round trip ticket. Most people who travel to work in the United States have their round trip date closed, if for any reason you cannot know your return, buy it and you will change it if you need it since customs like to know that you are going to return To your country.


The criteria for work visas can be somewhat confusing as there are many different types of visas, depending on the type of work. First of all, people who want to work in the United States must apply for a work visa and have it approved. Work visas are non-immigrant visas, this means that they will only be valid for a certain period of time. It should be added that most of the United States visas can be easily renewed.

Requirements for the work visa:

Each work visa has different criteria for obtaining it, which must be met by the applicant. Most work visas have an annual fee.

Types of Visa:

E-1 Treaty Trader Work Visa
E-2 Treaty Investor Work Visa
E-3 Work Visa for Australians
F-1 Student Visa that can work in OPT / CPT
H-1B temporary work visa to perform specialized jobs
H-2B Temporary Work Visa
H-1C Temporary Work Visa for Skilled Nursing Jobs
H-3 Apprentice Visa
L-1 Transferred between affiliated companies
O-1 Visa for workers with extraordinary abilities or achievements
P Visa for Athletes / Artists
R-1 Religious Worker Visa

Worker’s Rights in the United States:

Next, we cite the worker’s rights for the United States of America regardless of the category of your visa:

  • Right not to retaliate against you.
  • Right to be paid.
  • Right not to be an element of discrimination.
  • Rights as a woman in the face of labor discrimination.
  • Right to a safe and healthy workplace.
  • Right to more protections under decency of state law.
  • Right to get out of an abusive employment situation.

Make travel insurance:

When we go to a country outside the European Union, we must always consider making travel and medical insurance for everything that may happen. In the United States there is certainly not much danger, but private healthcare is very expensive, the cost of it is not so high as to think about not doing it. Those of us who come from abroad are safer with health insurance that covers the trip, especially if we are going to spend a good time there.


The climate in the United States is very diverse and offers everything, depending on the area and the season of the year. If you are more of warm temperatures, you will like to live in Florida, Arizona or southern California, if you like cold more, Washington or Minnesota, among others. There are also other states such as New York, Chicago or the Great Lakes area, in which the autumns and winters are quite cold and it always snows. Summers in these areas are usually hot.


Accommodation usually varies greatly depending on the state and the area you choose to live. In some areas it will be very difficult to find good cheap accommodation. We advise you that whenever you are looking for an apartment, you do it in an area that is not very central to the city, so that it is cheaper.

Other things you should know:

Driving: The maximum speed in the United States is limited to 88 and 110km / h, there it is measured in miles so 55 or 70 miles / hour. Cars are usually automatic. You need to validate your driving license in traffic and ask for the international license or get the license there.

Units of measurement: You should forget about kilometers and meters since we only use it in Europe. You will measure distances in inches, feet, yards, and miles. Capacities in gallons and weight in pounds. Temperature is measured in Fahrenheit instead of degrees Celsius.
The smallest size for women is 6, which is equivalent to 36 and is added two by two. For men they are 10 less than in Europe. As for footwear, a size 36 is equivalent to a 6.5 and it is added one by one from there.

Hours: Normal office working hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with half an hour for lunch. Breakfast is usually done early around 7:00. Lunch at noon around 1:00 p.m. and dinners between 6 a.m. and 8 a.m.
Sports: Basketball, American football, baseball and hockey are the most practiced sports in the United States. European football is called “soccer” and they also tend to follow it, although culturally it is not that fun. Sport is very present in American culture.
Tip: Many jobs as a waiter, taxi driver, hairdresser … they work with tips, that means that they receive most of their salary from them. So you must always pay it and it is usually given between 10% and 20% of the amount of the account. Find out more about tips in this post.
Electrical appliances: The plugs are different so you have to buy an adapter. The plugs used in the United States of America are type A / B.

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest article